Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been prescribed monovision for several years and have

Customer Question
had GP contacts that focus...
I have been prescribed monovision for several years and have had GP contacts that focus my left eye for near vision and my right eye for distance vision. This has been bothering me over the last year and my optician told me that at a certain point it will distort my spatial awareness and we agreed on distance vision in both eyes with spectacles for close up vision. BUT I now find that no amount of adjustment will correct the vision in my left eye. Is this normal? A consequence of the monovision prescription? Just aging (I am 61)? Should I be consulting an ophthalmologist?
Thanks for your help.
Nick
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
11/1/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hmmm.....I can't think of a reason why your distance vision would not be able to be corrected to normal just because, for many years, that eye had a contact lens in it so that it was set for near vision. It is possible that there was some corneal warping due to a incorrectly fit GP lens and, if this were the case, corneal topography would quickly pinpoint this cause.

Dr. Rick :

So. In a nutshell: This is not normal. It would be strange for it to be a consequence of your previous monovision fit. Could it be from "aging"? Sure. But that means that you would have some other sort of eye pathology such as cataract etc. Our eyes don't "wear out" just because we are getting older :o)

Dr. Rick :

As you know, in the spectrum of training in the art of eye disease diagnosis and treatment, an optician is at the bottom of the food chain. As such I would have to agree with your thought: Go see an ophthalmologist so that the cause of your problem can be ascertained.

Dr. Rick :

I think that once the cause can be found it should be able to be fixed so you can start enjoying clear distance vision in both eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
If you have a chance drop me a line on this thread and let me know what the ophthalmologist finds. Have a good day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD