Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How do you go about getting a waiver when your blind in one

how do you go about getting a waiver when your blind in one eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What type of wavier are you looking for? Driving, working, etc? Also, are you 100% "lights-out" blind in the affected eye? If not, how much vision and visual field do you have in that eye?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat this morning?

Customer:

work

Customer:

driving

Customer:

i can see light and movement

Dr. Rick :

How much vision do you have in that eye? Do you know what amount of side vision you have? Could you see a person walking up to you from that side? What kind of work do you do?\

Dr. Rick :

Also, what State are you in?

Customer:

i have 160 horizontal

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Customer:

im in VA. idrive a truck

Dr. Rick :

so you are missing the central vision in that eye. What caused your vision loss?

Dr. Rick :

A commercial truck, like a large Semi?

Customer:

shot in eye with bb gun when i was 8 years old

Customer:

no strate truck no cdl

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, then we can tell the authorities that your vision loss can be expected to be stable at this point. And not needing a CDL makes things easier.

Customer:

have to take dot physical

Customer:

they say i need a waiver

Dr. Rick :

You would need a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist, including a detailed description of the pathology causing your decreased vision, your best corrected visual acuity in each eye and a computerized visual field for each eye and both eyes together. They might take a confrontation visual field result (non-computerized) but it depends on the agency.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. With the above information at hand your ophthalmologist can fill out the waiver form for you to turn in. I've filled these out for airline pilots, semi drivers, agricultural truck drivers, etc. It is not that hard to do but if the forms are not filled out exactly, and they are really picky on the exactly part, then there can be a long delay and a lot of hassel.

Dr. Rick :

Did the DOT physical doctor have a form for you concerning your eyes?

Customer:

yes it has a vision part

Dr. Rick :

Ok. From what you have told me you should not have any problems getting a waiver so you can drive the kind of truck you are talking about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me today?

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.