Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

After receiving surgical repairs (Sclera buckle and laser

After receiving surgical repairs (Sclera buckle and laser repair of retina and insertion of gas bubble), how much pain for how long is typical? What is typical period of time for vision restoration? Is post op bleeding unusual, four weeks out? I have had bad pain with nausea for three weeks after surgery with only blurred light for vision. So blurred that I can not even see fingers on my own hand 18" away from the eye. Two episodes of internal bleeding, because of the blood internally I currently have no vision. Bot***** *****ne, are all of these descriptions in the range of typical issues associated with detached retina repair? Would you recommend I seek a second opinion?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Our chat system doesn't seem to be working today but we can use this system to address your questions today.
Pain in the eyeball and orbital area really shouldn't last for more then a couple of days or so. I am concerned about the nausea you are having as this can be an indication that the pressure inside your eye is too high. I would suggest you call your surgeon right away and have your eye pressure checked.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
As far as your vision being poor and the time it takes for good vision to return this depends upon a lot of different factors. Since you are three weeks post-op all the gas will have already reabsorbed so your poor vision is not due to that.
It could be that your retina was just too badly damaged during your detachment and you will be left with poor vision even though the surgery managed to reattach your retina. I always tell patients to give it at least 6 months as vision can still improve for some time after retinal surgery.
When you mention that you have had two episodes of internal bleeding do you mean inside your eyeball or somewhere else in your body? If it is in your body you'd have to ask your internal medicine doc as that is not in my area of expertise....other then to say that retina surgery shouldn't cause that. If it is in your eye you need to see your retina specialist ASAP to find the cause.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I always believe in second opinions. It sure wouldn't hurt to have another retina specialist take a look at things and see what she says about all the post-op difficulties you have been having.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.