Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My eyes have felt very dry the last couple of days and when

My eyes have felt very dry the last couple of days and when I woke up this morning, one of my pupils was extremely dilated and not changing. What could that be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the pupil dilated in one eye only? Have you been able to see pupillary constriction in the other eye?

Customer:

Just one eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you able to appreciate any drastic reduction in vision in the eye with a dilated pupil?

Customer:

It's just fuzzy. They other one seems to look and feel normal, except it feels kind of dry. Yesterday I was wondering if I was getting pink eye because of how my eyes felt.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you experience any severe headache/eye pain /nausea or vomiting in the last 24 hours?

Customer:

I have had a daily headache for about 10 days now. I get migraines and have had extreme stress for the past 10 days.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would suggest that you stop using the Visine eye drops as these are only decongestant eye drops and will not help you with the present eye problem.

Customer:

I had bought the Visine A because I had a little rash on my eyelid a couple weeks ago. Would that cause the dilation?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since there is a strong history of ocular migraines, I guess the headache could be due to that . You can take Tab.Acetaminophen/Paracetamol, 650 mg, twice a day for symptomatic relief. For the dryness of the eyes you can start using lubricating eye drops such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, for 1 month(available over the counter).

Customer:

Do you mean the dilation can be due to migraines/

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, visine A would not have caused a dilated pupil.

Customer:

Okay - any idea when it might normalize and am I okay to drive?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pupillary reaction is a very sensitive eye test and should be preferrably be deciphered under ideal test conditions by a specialist. If you still continue to see a fixed and dilated pupil in only one eye, I would suggest you repeat for the pupillary reaction- stand in fron of the mirror, cover the eye with normal pupil, then shine a bright torch from the side on the eye with the dilated pupil. Normally the pupil should immediately constrict.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

"front"

Customer:

ok