Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a couple of pimple looking things on my left eye lid

Customer Question
and it is rubbing against...
I have a couple of pimple looking things on my left eye lid and it is rubbing against my eye, especially when I blink. What can this be?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Looks like you have stepped away from your computer . I will post the answer here and switch over to the Q&A pattern so that you can view the answer later.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely that the pimple like things on the eyelid are blocked meibomian glands. These glands are kind of modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Their secretions may get pent up from blocked meibomian gland ducts. These ducts can get blocked from trivial cause such as rubbing of eyes or from associated blepharitis( inflammed lid margins).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The treatment lies in regular warm compresses ( helps to release the pent up secretions), gentle lid massage with the finger tips.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once the pimple like things subside, the lid margins can be gently scrubbed with 50:50 diluted baby shampoo( applied with the help of a Q-tip to the lidmargin only).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In case of persistent blocked ducts( even after a month of the above treatment), it would be better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look.

do these pimple have puss inside?

No, the secretion is not pus but sebum from the sebaceous glands.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions, if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and/or positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
what color is the sebum?
The pent up sebum appears white or whitish yellow in color.
the definition i got for what you are saying is that is this called Chalazion or stye
Chalazion is a chronic inflammation of the same meibomian gland( presents as a painless swelling on the eyelid for more than weeks to months), stye is a kind of acute infection of the various glands present in the lids( is an acute painful swelling on the lid). Meibomian gland cyst can be seen as tiny pimple like lesions on the lid margin.

Below is a similar lesion-

You can go through the following article for more information-

http://www.insider-guide-to-reading-glasses.com/simple-dry-eye-management.html
if i take a picture of what i have, would you be able to determine if it could be this?
We can give it try. You can take a close picture of the eyelid, save it on your desktop, use the attachment logo here in the message box( seen as a paperclip between the smiley logo and the youtube logo), press browse , press the insert image, the image will be sent here.
it was white, i warmed compressed it last night, but now it is just red.
Ok. It is likely that the warm compress could have caused the white secretion to have become more liquefied and probably got drained out too. Thus leaving behind a reddish spot only. You can still continue with the earlier mentioned treatment.
i dont see a place to add the attachment. where is it?
My screen shows a box where I'm typing the replies. Now on the top part of the box there is a horizontal row of many logos including a smiley(yellow color). The logo next to the next logo is that of a paperclip. Select that logo and just follow the earlier instructions.
there it is, i was using different browser. Attached is the picture of it. Yesterday there were two white ones.
did u see the picture
I did see the picture and it does look like blocked meibomian gland ducts. The one in the picture does look red and the earlier explanation holds good. I guess you need to continue with warm compresses, lid massage and gentle scrub. Continue this for about a month. Remember to wash your hands each time so as to avoid any kind of contamination. Such blocked ducts are otherwise at risk of getting infected resulting in a stye.

Thank you and best wishes.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist