Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

The areas around both eyes are swollen. Happened suddenly 2

Customer Question

The areas around both eyes are swollen. Happened suddenly 2 months ago. At the same time I had 7 lb weight gain "overnight." No pain, no irritation. What is causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What was the HRT for? Are your eyes swollen mostly in the areas of the lower eyelids?

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning and welcome to Chat.

Customer:

HRT was for general tiredness mental, physical. Eyes are swollen on top and underneath, more under. Dr said it was blood vessels. (?)

Customer:

Why would this happen so suddenly?

Dr. Rick :

Is it kinda like "pooching" out in the area of your lower eyelids?

Customer:

pooching, yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Thanks for that information. This really has nothing to do with your recent HRT therapy.

Customer:

I have cataracts and MD

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.

Dr. Rick :

And it will also not affect your cataracts or impact your ability to have safe cataract surgery in the future should this be necessary.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Well, I'm not interested in treating it. I want to know why it happened, both the weight gain of "7" pounds overnight and the eye involvement.

Dr. Rick :

It was caused by the tearing of that thin, tough membrane called the orbital septum. It may have been accelerated by your rapid weight gain.

Customer:

hummm....doesn't sound like the answer. The tearing wouldn't have happened overnight I don't think ?

Dr. Rick :

As far as why you gained so much weight overnight, that is something that is out of my area of expertise as an eye surgeon> I think you should talk to your internal med MD about this.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it can come on pretty suddenly. I've seen this a number of times over the last 20 yrs.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was abruptly cut off. Evidently my "expert" had no answer....and was unwilling to keep talking.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Sorry about that. I'm still here....My system showed that you went offline.
Shall we resume where we left off?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your eyes? That would be very helpful.
Here is an easy way to send the picture to me:
Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
This opens up files on your computer. Double click on the picture you want to upload then hit open (bottom right of the screen). This will take you back to the tinypic page. Hit "upload now" then do the secret code thing and your picture will upload into the system.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for accepting my answer. However, if you would still like to discuss your issue in more depth, I am here and awaiting your reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I didn't get to read before I was cut off. I'm beginning to suspect SCAM
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I didn't get an answer which I suspect may be too involved for over the internet answer. So I made a mistake thinking I could get an answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I assure you that there is no scam involved. I am an ophthalmologist and want to make sure you are happy with the information your receive.
If you want to stop discussing your issues, and you are not happy with me there are a few options available to you:
1. You can "opt out" working with me and another eye expert can take over where we have left off.
2. You can contact customer service (there should be a link on your page) and ask for your money back, which will be cheerfully refunded in full.
I do notice, however, that you used this service a few years ago for information on your cat and received an extensive answer. You choose not to pay for this answer. In this light you know how justanswer works and, hopefully, don't really think you are being scammed.
Your third option, of course, is to continue working toward an answer you like -- at no additional charge -- with me.
Let me know what course of action you would prefer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.