Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr. Rick, I did get the expensive lens. I should have saved

Customer Question

Dr. Rick,
I did get the expensive lens. I should have saved my $. What I do not like.
Halowing around lights or anythibng with a shine. Under bright sun the reflections are so great that it looks like spot lights from vechiles front and back so so bright you can only see the light and cannot make out the vechile. I did better on the road before the operation,
Overall I would my vision quality has been reduced from 20 to 30% depending upon the light.
Mid range is the best, ***** ***** fuzzy and close up I need magnification glasses to read a news paper.
There is no way I would recommend the new lenses. My wife who has the regular lens and uses glasses for close up does not expierence my kind of problems.
It would be helpful that one considering the new lens be able to wear something to get an idea as the effect it would have on their eyes. I would have made a different choice if that was available. Now it is too late.
Ernest Arvesen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so many problems with the multifocal lens.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately there is no good way, as of yet, to simulate the experience of the lens you had implanted in your eye prior to doing the surgery. Sure, the tradeoffs some patients experienced can be discussed at length but, as you know, that really doesn't make the issue clear.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that, over time, the difficulties you are experiencing will become less. Sure, you will still need readers for upclose but the problems you have with reflections/glare and halos may become less noticeable.

Dr. Rick :

You do have one option available to solve this problem, although there are risks involved. You can ask your surgeon to remove the lens from your eye and replace it with a monofocal lens (such as your wife has). I do not believe you can expect a refund on the money you have already spent on the mulitfocal lens as it would have to be thrown out after being inside your eye (or you could take it home to show your grandkids :) although, maybe, some partial refund could be worked out with the manufacturer.

Dr. Rick :

What risks would you be taking? Well, most all of the same risks that you undertook during your first cataract surgery along with risks intrinsic to the removal of the implanted lens such as vitreous loss, damage to the capsular bag and need to place the new lens in an alternate location such as the sulcus, the anterior chamber or actually suture it in place.

Dr. Rick :

Ernest, this may be something you might consider discussing with your ophthalmologist. Once again, I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.