Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had saw eyes for 3 years, they often get floaters

Customer Question
I have had saw eyes for...
I have had saw eyes for 3 years, they often get floaters that come and go depending on how saw the eyes are. The sawness comes from the very corner of eyes that join the nose which often can be dark which thens becomes puffy. Have seen a number of eye doctors but keep gettn different results have been told i have conjuntivitis to hay fever to just plan old you have floaters which are permenant.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/5/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds like you have a couple of issues going on. The floaters are from something called a posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.
It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.
If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.
What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
The other issue, which is separate from the PVD issue, that it seems you have is a problem with your anterior segment/tear film. This can, as you have already noted yourself, be caused by a number of things however the most common causes are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis.
When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.
Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.
The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.
Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.
Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD