Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have severe glaucoma, I have noticed my eyesite is getting

Hi, I have severe glaucoma...
I have severe glaucoma , I have noticed my eyesite is getting worse
I have noticed that if I drink alcohol the next day they are worse
Also its getting diffulcult to go tescos (supermarket as the bright lights i cant see anything)
I really want to get better are there any special glasses?
I take azgar in the day and xaltin at night
IS there anything they can do to make my eyesite better?
I know they say no but what about in other coutries
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. The chat system is not working today but we use this system to answer your question.
ok so how does this work?
Just like that.....you type, I type.....
What drop do you use during the day? Also, are you being treated by an ophthalmologist (MD) for your glaucoma or an optometrist?
i am seeing london eye hospital i have an appoitment in november however they have not been very helpful, I have savings and am interested in anything I can do to get my eyesite back I have spoken to some specialists who say that it is possible to improve my site but i dont knowI have drops in the day and at night
Are you being treated at Moorfield's?
Do you know how much damage your optic nerve has had already. This is usually described as a cup to disk ratio, such as .3 etc. Do you know this number or how much visual field loss you have?
What is your current eye pressure on your medicines? How does your ophthalmologist feel about this pressure? Does she want it lower?
I am in the USA.....
Hi. Are you still there?
Looks like we lost contact. I am still available if you would like to continue working on your question.

hi yes seemed to of lost you for a while

I dont know how much vision I have lost I know my fields test was awful

Moorfields eye hospital told me I can have an operation they will drill a hole in my eye to relase pressure

I am going to go for the op to stop further damage however I was hoping that there was a way to get some vision back

I have noticed my reading vision has suffered badly i can hardly read a message on my phone now

I am 28 and its so scary

Does alcohol have any effect with glaucoma are there anything I should be taking to help slow the process

Please let me know I have neally £50,000 in savings and I really want to know if there are any nerve treatments to get some eyesite back

Please let me know asap

Sorry about the technical problems...at least we are back online.
Just for your information, Moorfield's eye hospital in one of the best eye hospitals in the entire world....you will be getting state-of-the-art treatment by some of the best glaucoma doc's on the planet there.
That being said, I'm sorry to report that once vision has been lost to glaucoma (damage to the optic nerve) it can never be regained. Alcohol in moderation will not hurt things but I would avoid getting falling down drunk a lot.....That isn't good for anything, let alone glaucoma :(
There is a lot of research on glaucoma, nerve damage from glaucoma, nerve protection etc. Moorfield's probably has their pulse on the latest and greatest research being done worldwide on this topic. Right now, however, there isn't anything out there to repair damage that has already occurred.
The best thing you can do to slow the process of vision loss and even to stop it, is to use your drops as directed, don't smoke, and work with your doctors to keep your eye pressure within the target pressure set for you. The surgery you are going to have will, hopefully, lower your pressure even farther then it is right now and, perhaps, you will even be able to use less drops.
There, truly, nowhere better in the world to have your glaucoma treated then where you are right now. If I lived in the UK and not in the USA it is were I would go for my eye care.
Does this make sense to you?
And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.
Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming eye surgery. If you have a chance, drop me a note on this thread and let me know how things went and how you are doing.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD