Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I feel like iam getting pins and needles in my eyes then i

Customer Question
hi i feel like iam...
hi i feel like iam getting pins and needles in my eyes then i get blury vision for a few seconds, its like peeling onions
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes doctor

Customer:

are you there

Customer:

hello

Doctor DanB : Yes I'm here. I'm sorry but there's a glitch in the chat system so it is slow in returning your replies to me.
Doctor DanB :

Do you get any redness, tearing, discharge, light sensitivity, burning, itching, foreign-body sensation, mattering or caking of your eyelashes in the morning or pain in the eyes other than this pins and needles effect?

Customer:

no

Doctor DanB :

Do you spend a lot of time either reading, watching TV, driving, or working on a computer?

Customer:

no doctor but i get a litle light sentivity

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that you are having these symptoms because of dry eye. It may be a funny term to use because frequently a person can suffer from dry eye syndrome (which really means the tear film is not working properly) even though a person's eyes don't necessarily feel dry. Let me explain further...

Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB : Dry eyes can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to dry eyes. Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (make dry eyes worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. People with blepharitis can have morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering. Their symptoms get better as the day progresses, but then they get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. 
Doctor DanB :

I would recommend starting to use an artificial tear in both eyes, 1 drop 3-4x/day for the next 2-3 weeks. If that helps, but is not enough, or even if it doesn't help then you may need to see an ophthalmologist for a dry eye evaluation to determine what specific causes exist that predispose you to these symptoms.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.