Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My wife was poked in the eye about 5 hrs ago. No redness, a

Customer Question
little swelling, no other visible...
My wife was poked in the eye about 5 hrs ago. No redness, a little swelling, no other visible damage to my naked eye, but she cannot see clearly out of that eye. Do you think we should head to the emergency room or wait until morning to try to see an ophthalmologist?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Does she have any pain?

Dr. James :

What type of things can she see out of that eye? TV? newsprint? etc.

Customer:

Shapes, colors, lights, facial features, TV she can see, but very blurry.

Dr. James :

Pain?

Customer:

pain sometimes when she moves the eye around

Customer:

dull, throbbing pain mostly. Sometimes a sharp pain when she moves it side to side

Customer:

pain is more to the top of the eyeball, not the cornea/ iris area

Dr. James :

She can likely wait until the morning to be seen by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.

Customer:

anything we should do in the meantime?

Dr. James :

being poked in the eye can scratch the cornea. This is often very painful, but an heal in a few hours. The clarity of vision may take much longer, days to weeks sometimes.

Dr. James :

If she was poked with a sharp object which could have punctured the eye, then yes, she should be seen by a physician to be evaluated.

Dr. James :

to make sure that surgery does not need to be done.

Customer:

it was just a finger that got her

Dr. James :

ok.

Dr. James :

continue to use the tears and see a doctor in the morning.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. James :

if symptoms worsens, then obviously, she should be seen sooner.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

that's it thanks

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James