Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I saw my eye doctor on Saturday. On Friday suddenly these

Customer Question
Hi I saw my eye...
Hi I saw my eye doctor on Saturday. On Friday suddenly these annoying lines appeared in my left eye. She said they were eye floaters and said just live with it and that is it. My retina is
fine and I have no health issues at all. I am finknig it very difficult to cope and I was wondering if there are any eye exercises to help or an eye drops available that can help
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Unfortunately, to a certain extent, your doctor is fine. These floaters are pieces of the jelly that occupies most of the volume of the back of the eye (called vitreous jelly) that were attached to the retina, but have now pulled off and are floating within the substance of the rest of the jelly mass. The process of getting floaters can rarely lead to problems with the retina so it's good you got the retina cleared by your doctor. For most people, the floaters will never completely disappear, and so to that extent, your doctor is right in that you'll have to learn how to live with it. However, most people see some improvement in their ability to cope with them through one or more of three different mechanisms. First...

Doctor DanB :

First, the floaters can and often do break apart over time. They usually do not completely disintegrate, but can get smaller. Second, they can tend to drift out of your view moreso than they are now. Lastly, the brain does a good job of learning how to ignore them after a while. Ultimately you will probably only notice them when you're looking at a bright background such as the sky, a computer monitor, or a white piece of paper or white wall, but for right now they can sure drive you crazy (I've got one in each eye).

Doctor DanB :

There is a surgery that can rid you of these floaters, but it is major surgery and should only be undertaken when the risks of getting the surgery outweight the benefits; usually this surgery is done when the person is so incapacitated by their symptoms that they can't perform their activities of daily living.

Doctor DanB :

Does that all make sense?

Customer:

Hi It makes sense but I am looking to see if there is any type of drops that help or any type of exercises that can be done

Customer:

I do not feel that my question was answered in a way that can help me sorry

Doctor DanB :

Sorry, in that first paragraph I meant to say your doctor is right, not fine. (type correcting software sold me out :(.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any questions about this?

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.