Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I got new eye glasses a couple months ago, for about a month

I haven't worn them, because...
I got new eye glasses a couple months ago, for about a month I haven't worn them, because I had a sore on the side of my nose & it took time to heal, I didn't want to rub & cause more friction. I cleaned my glasses tonight I thought I was seeing a spot, after I put them back on when I look at the glass lamp it seems to be glaring or something like the top of the lamp shade is shining like 2 lamps, in the field of vision, this didn't happen before. They are progressive glasses I didn't have those before, I adjusted fine to them, but since I haven't worn them for a month my eyes are adjusting again, but this glare or whatever it is, is bugging me. It doesn't seem to be doing it with any other lamp or light accept the one that has a glass top. When I go up to the lamp it goes away. I walked through the house & this seems to be the only light it's doing it with. I have a mild PVD also. I have never seen glare before with these new glasses & I thought maybe it might be something with the PVD.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This is not related to your PVD. Most likely it has to do with your progressive lenses. As you might know these type of glasses have a zone of "warped" material where the power of the progressive bifocal is formed.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on the topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_lens

Dr. Rick :

What is most likely happening is that you are looking through a small edge of the normally "warped" part of the lens due to a change in the fit from the sore on your nose and, possibly, a slight distortion in the fit of the frame.

Dr. Rick :

This is nothing to be concerned about. I suggest you see your optician who can check how the glasses fit on your face, where you are looking through the lens and set everything back the way it should be.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD