Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had a migraine and felt some pain in my eye. Now when I

Customer Question
look straight ahead I see...
I had a migraine and felt some pain in my eye. Now when I look straight ahead I see darkness, but if I shut my eyes I see a bright aura. I thought it would go away, but it is still there after 24 hours. I have no pain, just this darkness
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
10/1/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

This is the visual effects of a migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
should I be concerned about this not clearing up.
When you say that when you look straight ahead you see darkness, is this with both eyes open? Is it 100% dark, or just the middle of your vision missing etc?
It is only in my right eye and staight ahead I can not see very well, it looks as if I have something in my vision
Can you find a book, magazine etc? Put on your normal glasses/reading glasses. While looking at the middle of the page with your right eye only, can you see the entire page ok? If not, what does it look like?
Can you read with your right eye? If not, how much of the word or page can you see?
And just to make sure I understand, your left eye is 100% normal, correct?
With my glasses on I can read hardly nothing with my right eye and yes my left eye is fine
Ok. Well then....this is more then just a migraine. You really should be examined by an ophthalmologist today if at all possible. There may be a problem with your retina, or possibly your optic nerve.
In any event the sooner the underlying problem is identified, the better things will be.
One other thing. Don't panic. Ok? ok.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD