Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 10 year old Daughter fell on her head two years ago. She

had a huge lump and...
my 10 year old Daughter fell on her head two years ago. She had a huge lump and it still hasn't completely gone. Last night i noticed in a few photos that she has just one red eye, the dark one being on the same side as her head injury. I'm so scared and worried that this could be signs of a tumor. Could this type of red eye in one eye only mean it's definitey a tumor or could there be other reasons? I will make an appointment on monday for her to see the doctor. Please help as i'm really depressed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Can you daughter see out of that eye OK?

Customer:

yes she can

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

Red eye is normal and common in pictures and 99.99997% of the time nothing to be worried. Tumors look white in pictures, not red.

Dr. Rick :

Other causes of white eye reflex in pictures is the optic nerve lining up with the camera so, as you can see, there are lots of reasons other then a tumor for your daughter to have different pupil reflexes/pupil color in a picture.

Dr. Rick :

However, as a parent of 5 myself, I agree with your plan to have your daughter examined. The best person to check out her eye is a pediatric ophthalmologist and that is where I would take her.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message here? Do not panic. :o)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Good Morning. I see you have entered the chat room. Do you have any other questions or comments for me this morning?

Customer:

Thank goodness for that! I read a few things over the internet today stating that one red eye and one white could be signs of cateracts in the white eye. People were writing that one red eye and one normal indicated something more serious, could this be so?

Customer:

....i mean in photos.

Dr. Rick :

No. One red eye and one normal eye, especially in a 10 year old who can reliably tell you her eyes are fine, is -- in the vast majority of cases -- nothing to worry about.

Customer:

i did find one photo taken recently with my mobile phone. My phone has a automatic red eye reduction, but both her pupils were red this time so maybe the red eye facility didn't work. I'm hoping this is a sign that there's nothing serious going on behind her eye.

Dr. Rick :

But I'm sure everyone will feel better after she has a complete eye exam by a pediatric ophthalmologist and is declared OK.......I know I would if I was in your shoes. But it is not an emergency that she be seen.

Dr. Rick :

I'm fairly positive that your daughter is OK, even if she had red eyes on a picture with your anti-redeye cell phone..

Customer:

The online sites were stating that the eye without any red in a photo would be cause for concern since both eyes should have been red, not just one.

Dr. Rick :

If there is anything going on inside her eye the ophthalmologist will find it....

Dr. Rick :

While it could be a sign of crossed eyes they are mostly taking about babies. The internet has a lot of stuff on it that is not really true or is used out of context. You really don't need to worry.

Dr. Rick :

And you do have a picture of both of her eyes being red -- if there was some sort of scary thing wrong it would be in every picture. And a 4th grader would tell you if she was having an eye problem.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
sorry for my late reply. Can i safely assume that both my daughter's eyes being different in photos doesn't necessarily indicate a serious problem?
Absolutely.
Thank you so much, i will take her to the doctor though on monday kindest regards, marian.
My pleasure. Have a good weekend.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD