Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a bump on my lower inner eyelid. Its swollen and is

white in color. My eye...
I have a bump on my lower inner eyelid. Its swollen and is white in color. My eye its self is red and irritated. What can I do to help with the pain and swelling? Also what is this?
9/19/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

I am

Dr. Rick :

How long has the bump been there?

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

about two days

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

I had something like this before about a few weeks ago but more near the tear duct and it went away quickly.

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

this is more blister like

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you may have an early chalazian. This is very common.

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

How do you heal it or help with the pain?

Dr. Rick :

Hot compresses and scrubbing your eyelids with baby shampoo works the best....I know this sounds crazy but it really, really works.

JACUSTOMER-jg72elp8- :

The hot compresses dont seem to work

Dr. Rick :

They don't work right away....it takes a few days and you have to do them as often during the day as your schedule will allow, with at HOT towel.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

Dr. Rick :

I wish that there was an instant fix to your problem, but that is not the case. Also, as I mentioned above, antibiotic drops or pills are re

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD