Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I suffer from dry eye. I had laser surgery nearly 5 years

Customer Question
ago. My employer is now...
I suffer from dry eye. I had laser surgery nearly 5 years ago. My employer is now forcing me to work at a desk hence using a computer in air conditioned office.
I was studying for an exam early this year, which caused lots of strain on my eyes. As i was revising online. I did this for 3 months, i then noticed a change in my vision.
Went to see my opticians, I now need glasses for driving, i have -1.00 in both eyes. Prior to laser it was -4.5 in each eye. After surgery i had 6/5 vision in both eyes.
Im concerned that working in an air conditioned and office and infront of a computer will worsen the dry eye condition and make my vision worse. I have no eye conditions other than dry eye and have healthy eyes confirmed by my opticians.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
9/18/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is very good question. Working in the conditions you describe will not, per se, cause your condition to become more severe but it may cause you to need to use more tear replacement drops while in the dry air conditioned space.

Dr. Rick :

There are other things that can be done for your dry eyes should it become necessary.

Dr. Rick :

. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

The fact that i will need to start using more tear drops etc, causing me inconvienience or even consider surgery isn't something i would be happy with.

I am trying to sort this through occ health as I do not want to suffer as a result of being moved to another post.

When i use computers alot it causes my eyes to strain which leads to head aches.

But none of this seems to be of any concern other than to myself.

I can understand your concern. However, lasik causes dry eyes as well as making any underlying tendency to have dry eyes worse. Since you have already had the lasik surgery there is nothing you can do to go back to the way you were.....and, on the bright side, is sounds like you had a very good outcome from your surgery.
Perhaps something could be done to divert the cool air from your work space?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD