Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it better the get a specialized lens when getting catartct

Is it better the get a specialized lens when getting catartct surgery? Do they last as long as the monifcal lens?Are there more problems with the newer miltifocal lenses?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It really is a matter of personal choice. The multifocal intraocular lens will, like the monofocal lens, last a lifetime however it gives a different visual experience.

Dr. Rick :

Like all things in life nothing is free -- and if you want clear near, intermediate and distance vision using one lens -- there are some trade offs.

Dr. Rick :

With the specialized lens you loose some contrast sensitivity and clarity of vision at most distances although many patients do not find this to be a problem. Also it is not unusual to have glare problems, especially when driving at night, with this type of lens.

Dr. Rick :

Also, as I'm sure you know, there is a significant out of pocket expense to have the multifocal lens implanted as medicare and insurance companies do not cover this option.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent web page from a highly trusted source that discusses this issue in depth:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.uclaser.com/lasik-los-angeles/faq/multifocal-iol-faq.htm

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a lot of glare at night especially when it is snowing and it is night time. About how much does a multifocal lens cost?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Once your cataract is removed the glare that you currently have should be gone since it is, most likely, due to changes in your natural lens. It is impossible how the glare you are currently having would compare to the glare you might experience from the multifocal lens.

Prices vary but it is in the range of $2,000 which you would have to pay out of your own pocket, in addition to any co-payments for the surgery etc.