Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Have in eyes, can't see. Help

Customer Question

have lotion in eyes, can't see. Help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is rinse your eyes under running water for at least 15 minutes.

Dr. Rick :

After that put some lubricating ointment (lacrilube and refresh pm are some brand names) and goop up your eye real good.

Dr. Rick :

What kind of lotion was it and how much do you think you got in your eye (rubbed it in a little bit or a large glob etc)?

Customer:

Thanks. Lotion: Equaline sunscreen, spf 50, very water resistant, PABa-free,

Customer:

the lotion was still on my hands, it seems, when I rubbed my eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Oops....you accepted too soon. But, I think you will be OK by the morning. It just stings, most likely, due to the pH of the sunscreen. These things are tested so as not to cause any serious damage. If it still hurts in the AM you might want to have a quick check by an eye MD. Does this make sense to you?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I am still here if you would like to discuss this more....just post to this thread and I will be able to read your note and respond.