Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I have suffered from sore eyes since the age of about 21. I

I have suffered from sore eyes since the age of about 21. I am now 63. People are always saying 'how tired I look'. I always have bags under the eyes, and sometimes several will appear. If I cry, my eyes will swell top and bottom for days and totally distort my face. I constantly have a 'jelly-like gunge' in them which can distort my vision. This collects in the corners. I have tried antibiotic, antihistamine drops and tablets, eyelid wipes, homeopathic remedies etc. Doc tested for infection - no prob. I have used drops for dry eyes. I am tempted to ask to see specialist now, as eyes are becoming very sore lately. Any suggestions? Maureen Anderson.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 5 years ago.
Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

given you history, it seems that you might be having a case of chronic eye allergy over years which also lead to some dryness of eyes

Dr. PG :

ideally, with your long history of ye involvement, you need to be evaluated by a cornea specialist

Dr. PG :

in cases like yours, depending on severity of symptoms, usually anti-allergy and lubricating eye drops are advised

Dr. PG :

the anti-allergy eye drops can be increased or decreased according to severity of symptoms and also depending in which season you are affected the most

Dr. PG :

the lubricating eye drops (refresh tears/optive/systane) need to be used regularly

Dr. PG :

if the dryness is severe, then a lubricating eye gel also can be added

Dr. PG :

in rare chronic cases, there might be no response or minimal response to the above treatment

Dr. PG :

in such cases, cyclosporin (restasis) eye drops are added

Dr. PG :

they act slowly and over time improve lubrication and decrease allergies in eyes

Dr. PG :

but for the above course of action you need to be evaluated by a cornea specialist to know the extent of your problem and further treatment

Dr. PG :

hope this information is helpful