Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have dry eyes and last week there was a scratch on my left

I have dry eyes and last week there was a scratch on my left eye. It was very painful and made things a little blurry. I went to the local eye doctor that afternoon and he said it was already starting to heal. He said to put in drops twice a day and wear my sunglasses till the sensitivity to light stopped. The problem is it has been almost two weeks and it still hurts and the light is still not my friend, the artificial tears drops burn my eye. Do you know of anything else I can do or drops that don't feel like acid? It feels very much like it did the first day. I am miserable.
Thank you for your time,
Mary
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If you are still having light sensitivity there is a chance that you have a corneal ulcer that has not responded to the antibiotics you were given. Also, uveitis (inflammation inside the eyeball) can cause these persistent symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

In either case you need to be re-evaluated by an ophthalmologist (eye MD) to accurately diagnose the problem and start you on the correct treatment protocol. Two weeks is really much too long for this to be going on.....

Dr. Rick :

Until you can see an ophthalmologist (Early tomorrow AM would be best) you can use some preservative natural tears to sooth your eye as well as cold compresses for comfort.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.