Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Shingles onset 18 months ago. Eye area and side of face.

Customer Question

Shingles onset 18 months ago. Eye area and side of face. Still pain beneath eye and side of face. occasionally severe. Gaba is some help, but pain still a real burden ! Would severing the nerve help for a few months ? ? Desperate in Dallas .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

As you know, post herpetic neuralgia is, in some cases, very difficult to deal with.

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

In patients who all other therapy has failed, including nerve blocks, then severing the nerve has been shown to be effective. The kicker? It doesn't work for everyone....and there is no way to tell if it going to work for you until it is done.

Dr. Rick :

If I was in your shoes and I just couldn't take it anymore I believe I would go ahead with the surgery.

Customer:

other options ? ?

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. What, including the GABA, have you tried so far? Capacin cream? etc?

Dr. Rick :

TENS unit?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

Then you might want to consult with a pain specialist before doing the surgery. You can always cut the nerve, but you can't uncut it if it doesn't work. Also, the majority of patients notice that the pain gets less by 5 years....although that is a very long time to be in pain.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://www.columbianeurosurgery.org/conditions/postherpetic-neuralgia/

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

somewhat

Dr. Rick :

As you already know there are no black and white answers for your condition....I wish their were.....

Dr. Rick :

Talk to a pain specialist. Something like the TENS unit may give you the relief you seek without having to take drugs around the clock for something that rears it's ugly head without warning.