Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My little grand dauter is 3years 10 mnths, her left eye is

Customer Question
red watery and rubs it...
My little grand dauter is 3years 10 mnths, her left eye is red watery and rubs it from time to time. What could be the cause?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that she has viral conjunctivitis (pink eye)

Dr. Rick :

This is a self limited disease that, since it is caused by a virus, does not need any antibiotic drops.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is use cold compresses for comfort, keep her eye clean and use tear replacement drops (natural tears, refresh, bion tears etc...there are a lot of brand names) to soothe her eyes.

Dr. Rick :

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctivitis

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

I want to know when shold I bring the child to be seen by the eye specialist?

Selloane

viral conjunctivitis usually runs its course in about 10 days. It can spread to the other eye and to family members very easily.
I'd take her to the eye specialist if she gets a lot of green, goopy discharge (pus like) coming out of her eyes (not just her eyelids sticking together....some mucus is to be expected with a virus), if she has any significant swelling around her eye/eyelids or if you, as a Grandmother, feel that things are "just not right" -- trust your instinct :)
Does this help?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD