Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My son is 5 yrs of age. No significant medical history. Left

Customer Question
Hi, My son is 5 yrs...
My son is 5 yrs of age. No significant medical history. Left eye - sclera on medial side of iris is red (almost a triangular shape). Some fine lumps. He said it was pain free all day but later in the evening has noted it to be sore and reported some blurring of vision with looking at computer or bright lights. No watering or discharge. No recent colds. He has gone to sleep now. ? episcleritis or should I take him to after hours doc.
Thanks
Marisa
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
9/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Episcleritis would be uncommon in a otherwise healthy 5 year old. It is more likely that he has mild conjunctivitis or even an allergic reaction.

Dr. Rick :

If the eyeball is bright red this would be consistent with a subconjunctival hemorrhage, possibly from rubbing his eye in his sleep. Here is some information on this condition:

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do if you are concerned is to take him to his pediatrician and, if necessary, to an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

If you can upload a picture of your son's eye I'd be happy to look at it for you. Here is one good way to upload a photo:

Dr. Rick :

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.

Go to www.tinypic.com

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.

Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Thanks for your help. My apologies for not getting back to you earlier. My son went to sleep and when he wakes I will reassess and take him to doc.

Marisa
My pleasure. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Hi, This follows on from a previous question to Dr. Rick (eye specialist). The history is as follows: my 5 year old son (no significant medical history) has a red left eye. Started approximately 3/7 ago. Initially he reported it to be pain free. There was no discharge. The medial side of the iris was red. Slightly raised. Later on the evening of day 1 he said his eye was hurting and his vision was blurry. He went to his local general practitioner in the morning - no foreign body, no fluorosceine uptake. He was diagnosed with conjunctivitis and given Chlorsig eye drops for the day (tds) and ointment for the night. We did miss one dose of drops yesterday whilst at school. Today his eye looks perhaps worse. I provided a link for two photos I took this morning. Thanks Marisa

I was able to view one picture. It looks like your son has conjunctivitis, most likely viral conjunctivitis (pink eye). For this condition the chlorsig drops are of no value as they only treat bacteria, not a virus.
The best treatment for this condition is cold compresses and using natural tears (tear replacement drops...there are many brand names) to soothe the eye.
This condition is very contagious and it is not unusual for it to spread to the other eye as well as to friends and family.
This is not a subconjunctival hemorrhage.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD