How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11363
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My eye is infected with an elongated worm with a spongi-like

Resolved Question:

my eye is infected with an elongated worm with a brown spongi-like strands of posterior end that changes shape and form in accordance with what state it is in. I mean when I use strong Antibiotics it seems affected and reacts by recoiling. a strong medication causes a reduction in its size and a withdrawal of its whole length which disappears on the eye when it is comfortable. this gives me a heavy pain of the eye ball. The whiteness of the eye turns brown and becomes blood red and seriously itchy when this worm is active.
It has left some kind of debris on the eye which has formed a translucent light brown sort of net that blocks my view as it floats past the pupil. At present it is a bit difficult to see through this net.
Five weeks ago an optician put drops of Tropicamide on the eye to get a dilation to investigate the back of the eye, I later realised the worm has reduced in size and and vision has become clearer.
I need some answers for positive improvement in quality vision.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

If, however, you are sure it is a worm the best person to see for this problem is a retina specialist. She will be able to dilated your eyes and,most likely , be able to actually see the worm swimming around inside your eye. If indeed this is the case it can be removed with surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I would think it much more likely, however, that you are having a PVD.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the back of my eye has been investigated by opticians and the results has come positive healthy condition. The problem is a living worm on the eye (an ocular condition) which may need eyedrops.

could you prescribe Tropicamide that I may use? 0.5% strenght

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
We are unable to prescribe medicine online. Sorry about that.