Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My husband got power steering fluid in his eye and it is

My husband got power steering fluid in his eye and it is very irritated, red, and painful. What should we do?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The first thing he should do -- and start doing it right now -- is hold his eyelid open under clean running water for at least 15 minutes.

Customer:

done that already

Dr. Rick :

good

Customer:

this happened yesterday and it's progressively getting worse.

Dr. Rick :

Oh.......

Dr. Rick :

Well, he really needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist ASAP. Going to the ER, unless an ophthalmologist can come in and see him, will be of very little help.

Dr. Rick :

How bad is vision in that eye right now?

Dr. Rick :

also, how much do you think he got in his eye? A small splash or more?

Customer:

The vision isn't bad but the pain is horrible. the eye is watering. i bought some some gel drops and they help but when they wear off the pain comes back.

Customer:

He said he kept pulling these long strings of what appeared to black strings of stuff that was stuck behind, or around his eyeball. the light makes it hurt the most.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It causes a chemical burn to the eye, can cause an epithelial defect and, if a large enough amount got in his eye or it wasn't washed out well, it can cause inflammation inside the eye itself and, in very large amounts possibly even damage to internal structures of the eye (although this is not common)

Dr. Rick :

Ya, sounds like those strings may be strands of burned conjunctiva or (hopfully) just mucus. Since the light is hurting him he may have uveitis (inflammation inside the eye) and/or a large corneal abrasion.

Dr. Rick :

What does this all mean? He needed to see an ophthalmologist yesterday. Try to get in to see one ASAP.

Customer:

I think I will continue to wash the eye tonight and if it's not better by morning I will take him to the er.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. But if you are might be taking him to the ER tomorrow, since it is the weekend, I think it would be best to take him now. The brake fluid could have damaged parts of his eye that will only be harder to fix the longer treatment is delayed.

Customer:

it didn't hurt until he woke up this morning so that stuff must have worked one his eye while he was sleeping causing the damage. thank you for your time. he will be going to the er.

Dr. Rick :

I hope he feels better soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thank you again.

Just wondering how your husband is doing this morning.....