Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I woke up with a bruised eyelid. What could cause this?

I woke up with a very dark bruise on my upper eyelid. No trauma. Very well defined, like a makeup smudge. I'm very worried. What could cause this?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Is your eyeball bruised at all? Any pain or changes in vision?

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

No pain or changes in vision. Eyeball not bruised.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicines?

Also, is the bruise large enough to distort your eyelid or is it mostly a change in color without a significant change in thickness of your lid?

I take ambien, paxil and low dose neurontin. I have sinus problems seasonally. Had a meningioma 7 yrs ago, craniotomy to remove, tmj i think. That's pretty much it.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I don't think those things have significantly contributed to this event....

The lid looks pretty much the same. Bruise extends from inner eyelid, maybe 1/3 of the way across lid

A little smaller actually

Dr. Rick :

Well, good news. I do not think that this is anything to worry about. It sounds like a spontaneous bruise like you might get elsewhere on your body. These things happen and, from what you have told me, I do not think it represents any underlying significant pathology.

It will behave like a bruise elsewhere but, since the tissue of your eyelid is so thin, it will be much more obvious as it changes color. It might even spread some....

What caused it? Hard to tell. Just some fragile blood vessel, most likely a low pressure vein, got a leak. Maybe from some minor trauma while you were sleeping.

So, just ice it?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, for the first 24 hrs, to help prevent a rebleed....although this would be rare. After that warm compresses, if you so desire, will help it to be "cleaned up" by your macrophages (white blood cells that clean up bruises) slightly faster.

Does this make sense to you?

Yes, and thank you! It was very alarming!

Dr. Rick :

I can understand that....especially after going through a meningioma :)

Take care and have a good day.

Thank you, you too.