Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Is there anything "neurological" or "physical" that would

cause a dyslexic child to...
Is there anything "neurological" or "physical" that would cause a dyslexic child to constantly look away from you when you're speaking with them or even to concentrate on a target for riflery? Or is this simply something psychological/habitual?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/14/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old is the child? Have you been able to have his eyes examined and his vision tested? If so do you recall the results of that exam?

Dr. Rick :

Also, are you saying that he concentrates on the rifle target instead of other things?

Dr. Rick :

I ment she....sorry :)

Dr. Rick :

I didn't read the "already tried" part of your post until after I asked the question above.......

Dr. Rick :

Since your daughter is able to look at a camera when she is working with a professional photographer, playing her DS game and watching TV I do not believe that she has any physical or neurological condition.

Dr. Rick :

If she had an ocular or systemic condition that prevented her from looking at something, or made her look away, I feel that it would be fairly constant across a wide range of conditions and situations.

Dr. Rick :

Since you are offline I am not able to tell if she has been examined by an ophthalmologist. If she had not had a complete eye exam I would suggest having one done. If she is a child, a pediatric ophthalmologist would be the doctor best set up to examine her. If an adult, a regular eye MD would be fine.

Dr. Rick :

I do not agree with her air rifle coach: Her difficulty on the air rifle range could very well be due to habit/personality. I doubt that she has an ocular, physical or neurological cause for these behaviors.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Thank you, ***** ***** I was not able to access your answer until now. I'm assuming you are now off-line, but have a follow up for you. Yes, she has been examined by a pediiatric opthamalogist since she was around 7 or 8. She does have glasses and is scheduled for her annual exam in December. I'm at a loss as she is trying so hard and really wants to succeed in some sort of extra-curricular activity. I have also sent in a e-mail inquiry to another certified "vision training" person who I hope can help. Anything else you can suggest?
I am online now.....
No. I think that has about covered it. I do, however, want to caution you about "vision training". There are a lot of "doctors" out there willing to take your money and offer the moon and many times offer you nothing other then a lighter wallet.
If you are interested in this type of therapy I would consult with a major University Teaching institution such as Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia, Bascom Palmer in Miami, Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn etc. In this way you will be sure to get the latest, most effective vision therapy that the doctors feel may benefit your daughter -- as well as an honest opinion on what is not worth trying.
I wish you the best of luck. Please let me know if I can do anything further to help you and your daughter.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I will definitely take your advice regarding the vision training. Hopefully, her psychiatrist can get to the bottom of it, too.
Sounds like a plan. Good night.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD