Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My left eye lid and the area under the eye above my cheek

Customer Question
my left eye lid and...
my left eye lid and the area under the eye above my cheek bone is swollen and puffy. in fact the area around the eye socket is swollen and puffy. i use the left eye for a couple of months because the right eye hase severe re-cataractization and vision is blurred and. the left eye has lesser, this condition will be fixed in a week. but the swelling on the left eye, no pain, is a puzzle. it started out about a month ago, and really bad this morning. what is it? i do not have allergy. is it blocked up lymph glands, or overuse of left eye muscles, or infection?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
8/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

When you first noticed the swelling was it a tender?

Customer:

a about 2 mons ago. it is not tender

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I don't think you have anything serious to worry about....

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.

With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.

The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office although some physicians like to do it in the operating room.

Customer:

the swelling is getting worse,

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

i have scleroderma

Dr. Rick :

Yes, it can get worse as the thin orbital septum rips more....it is a very common cause of painless swelling like you are describing. Your ophthalmologist will be able to confirm or deny this condition when you go in for your yag laser capsulotomy next week.

Dr. Rick :

do you have limited or diffuse scleroderma?

Customer:

diffuse

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

is it over use of my left eye that started this?

Customer:

diffuse scleroderma

Customer:

i have diffuse scleroderma

Dr. Rick :

It doesn't sound like this painless swelling is caused by your scleroderma. As an eye doc I don't treat scleroderma, although it really has not treatment, so I'd suggest you run this past your dermatologist or immunologist if your eye doc doesn't feel the swelling is from a defect in your orbital septum....but that would be my first guess :)

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

so i have a tear or collapse of the orbital septum

Dr. Rick :

No. It is called orbital fat prolapse. It usually comes from a weak or torn orbital septum, which is a tough fibrous tissue that holds the fat around your eye in place.

Dr. Rick :

It is very common. You probably have friends who suffer from this condition and don't even know it.....

Customer:

ok. and the treatment for this is ,,,?

Dr. Rick :

a surgery called blepharoplasty.

Customer:

ok. i will call my eye dr.

Dr. Rick :

Here is a good article on the topic:

Dr. Rick :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thanks.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD