Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My dog scratched my eye, and now its small, red, and very

Customer Question
painful that i cannot keep...
My dog scratched my eye, and now its small, red, and very painful that i cannot keep my eye lid open. My eye sight is blurry on the eye that got scratched. I was wearing a contact when it happened also. What can I do to treat it? I don't have insurance to go to the doctor.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
7/26/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

When did this occur?

Customer:

yesterday afternoon

Dr. Rick :

If it is still hurting this bad you most likely have, at the very least, a corneal abrasion. You may also have a corneal laceration and, with the history of contact lens use, you are at a much higher risk of a corneal ulcer forming.

Dr. Rick :

Knowing that money is an issue for you right now I hate to say this.....but you really need to be examined by an ophthalmologist in the very near future.

Dr. Rick :

By the way, how big is your dog?

Customer:

shes a poodle

Dr. Rick :

Ok...still large enough to do significant damage to your eye...

Customer:

is there anything i can do right now to treat it temporarily until I can get money this week to see a doctor?

Dr. Rick :

You can try cold compresses and preservative free natural tears to soothe the eye. However, if you have a corneal laceration or a corneal ulcer every moment you delay puts you at a much greater risk for significant loss of vision. Without seeing you I really can't tell how risky waiting is, but I've seen very nasty infections/damage that would have been easier to treat if therapy had started right away.

Dr. Rick :

Where in the US are you?

Customer:

new york city

Dr. Rick :

I trained there. Lived on 15th and 6th in the village for a few years. There are a ton of places to be seen. You could go to NY Eye&Ear, Manhattan Eye and Ear or Cornell Univ hospital, to name just a few. They should see you even in you can't pay right now. You only have two eyes and it's nice to have them both working :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

ok. thank you. i will go right away tomorrow. i'm just in pain and a little worried :(

Dr. Rick :

I know NY Eye and Ear will see you in the morning in the residents clinic even if you are totally broke. Best of luck

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck and let me know if I can do anything else to help you. Have a good night.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.if
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD