Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

I had cataract surgery in march and have had quite a few

I had cataract surgery in march and have had quite a few problems since. In looking over my records I see on January 6th th Dr states that my cataracts are "small and not a problem", on February 3rd records state "early cataract starting to develop". On my next visit the Dr asked me if I have problems with night driving and I answered yes, but I always have (since age 16 and I am now 52). He sent me to his opthamologist on March 2nd, she states that my vision was "20/70 in each eye best corrected to 20/50 right eye and 20/60 left eye. Compound astigmatism in right eye, simple myopia in left eye, presbyopia in both." She "recommends a recheck in 6 months."
I went back to see the original Dr on March 24th to follow up on the eye exam and he told me at that time that my cataracts were "blocking the retinal view internally and this is becoming dangerous" Outpatient treatment should be "simple, safe, and as successful as possible to restore vision to her maximum potential. New glasses did not improve vision and may be a waste of money until after the blockage is removed".
The problem is that I have triple vision in my left eye and double in my right. I have had YAG treatment in both eyes to no effect, I have also had 2 pairs of eyeglasses made with minimal help. I am not able to drive or work (my job requires fine vision i.e ABG's, IV's and medication draws). I can not get my original Dr to see me, he said that I simply need another pair of glasses and that sometime a person has worse vision after cataract removal and lens implants.
I have made an appointment with another eye specialist but I am wondering if it is possible for a cataract to vastly develop form "no concern" to a "danger" in 2 months without any injury, medications, or underlying health conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.
Dr. PG :

Hi

Dr. PG :

welcome to just answer

Dr. PG :

you are right it is rare for a cataract to develop so fast in such a short time and without any additive factors like trauma, steroid use uncontrolled diabetes/hypertension.

Dr. PG :

if your cataract was mild and the decrease in vision was significant, then you should have been investigated further for any retinal involvement etc

Dr. PG :

but you need to keep in mind that despite all investigations in some cases, the retinal vascular defects or other problems might not be evident till one has been operated for cataract

Dr. PG :

but considering everything, you should have been investigated in detail for any other problems in the eye, if the decrease in vision was disproportionate to the amount of cataract

Dr. PG :

but considering your history, if you had a long standing retinal problem, then your decrease in vision should have been present earlier than 2 months

Dr. PG :

if you experienced the decrease in vision over the last couple of months before surgery and your cataract did progress to some extent, then sometimes a doctor can attribute the decrease in vision due to cataract

Dr. PG :

i would recommend you to go to a retina specialist for detailed investigations and examination. You might need investigations like FFA (angiography of the eye), OCT etc

Dr. PG :

if there is a possibility of decreasing your symptoms then that should be tried

Dr. PG :

i hope this information is helpful

Dr. PG :

Regards