Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH DISCHARGE LEAKING FROM BOTH EYES,

Customer Question
DONT KNOW WHERE IT CAME...
WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH DISCHARGE LEAKING FROM BOTH EYES, DONT KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM AND WHY, IT STARTED HAPPENING APPROXIMATELY LAST NIGHT BEFORE I WENT TO BED,
I JUST KEPT WASHING BOTH EYES OUT WITH COLD WATER, I DO WEAR GLASSES,
THANK YOU
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/7/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Do your eyes feel like something is in them? Any discomfort, itching etc? Is your vision affected?

Customer:

SORT OF, YES, THEY ARE BLURRY, BECAUSE OF THE MUCUS DISCHARGE THAT KEEPS FORMING ON THEM

Customer:

I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE IT JUST STARTED HAPPENING LAST NIGHT APPROXIMATELY 1030PM WHILE GETTING READY FOR BED

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

When your eyes are "dry" and irritated they make more tears....this is the "something is in my eye" mode of tear production, not the "my eye feels fine and I'm making tears to keep things moist" mode. The use of natural tears will help your eye turn off the flood of "something in my eye" tears that comes from your eyes being dry. Does this make sense?

Customer:

I DO WEAR GLASSES AND I DO KEEP LATE HOURS, NOT MUCH SLEEP I AM BIPOLAR, AND TAKE MEDS

Customer:

I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY EYES BEING DRY OR WHATEVER YOU ARE SAYING, MY EYES ARE ALWAYS FINE, EXCEPT THEY GET TIRED BECAUSE I AM UP LATE HOURS, EITHER READING TOO MUCH,WATCHING TOO MUCH TV, ETC. ETC

Customer:

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THIS PROBLEM WITH MUCUS, AND CLOUDING OVER, I HAVE TO GO TO WORK IN A FEW HOURS, AND HOW AM I GOING TO SEE THE MERCHANDISE, PRODUCTS, REGISTER, AND COUNT OUT CHANGE, MONEY, ETC IF RIGHT NOW I CAN BARELY SEE THROUGH THIS COMPUTER TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU WITH THIS FILM OF HAZE, (MUCUS) THAT KEEPS FORMING ON MY EYES,

Dr. Rick :

bipolar would not cause this. Which meds are you taking? Lithium?

Customer:

I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF MUCUS AND WHAT IT IS, I PAID FOR THIS SERVICE AND I AM A SINGLE PARENT ON A DISABILITY CHECK CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE $38 IF I DO NOT GET THE SOLUTION

Dr. Rick :

It is also possible that you have come down with viral conjuctivitis, although this usually starts in one eye and later goes to the other.

Customer:

NO NOT LITHIUM, DEPO AND TOPA

Dr. Rick :

You don't need caps....I can see fine :o)

Dr. Rick :

ok. what is topa?

Dr. Rick :

depocoat?

Customer:

I DONT KNOW WHAT I HAVE, THATS WHY I CONTACTED YOU, WHAT I NEED IS A QUICK FIX, DOCTOR

Customer:

DEPAKOTE AND TOPAMAX

Customer:

YES

Customer:

THEY HAVE NO SIDE AFFECTS I HAVE BEEN ON THEM FOR YEARS

Customer:

THEY ARE STABILIZERS

Customer:

ON A VERY LOW DOSE, I AM VERY STABLE AND FUNCTIONIONG

Customer:

WORK, FAMILY, CARETAKER, ETC ETC. BUSY PERSON

Dr. Rick :

That is good. I do not believe those meds are contributing to your symptoms either....

Customer:

I DIDNT THINK SO, MY GIRLFRIEND SAID I BECAME ALLERGIC TO MY TWO CATS, BUT I LAUGHED AT HER,

Customer:

SHE KNOWS I LOVE MY TWO CATS

Dr. Rick :

So, it is either one of the things I discussed above, maybe a viral infection, doubt a bacterial infection.......

Dr. Rick :

I wouldn't get rid of my pets either....allergies or not :)

Customer:

WHAT CAN I DO IF IT IS CONJUNCTIVITIS, I NEED THE CURE

Customer:

HAVE TO GO TO WORK IN 4 HOURS

Customer:

AND I WORK FOR A DRUGSTORE, WALGREENS, YOU KNOW THEM

Dr. Rick :

Everyone has at least 2 walgreens within 10 miles of them nowadays...

Dr. Rick :

There is no cure for viral conjuctivits. It has to run it's course. If it is bacterial then antibiotic drops are the treatment.

Dr. Rick :

I'd dry the lid scrubs, warm compress and natural tears for now and you should be OK for work, although you are the best judge of that....

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD