Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My right eye seems to be rather swollen and red with cracked

Customer Question

My right eye seems to be rather swollen and red with cracked skin. Is there anything I put on this to stop the swelling and stop the redness. I had the same thing that happened to me last year happen again. I have tiny little flesh colored bumps all over my face. It's been about 5 days and it's getting better but now my right eye is swollen, puffy, red and itchy.
I have been taking benedryl and also used a little cortizone on the eyelid but doesn't seem to be helping at all.
Help
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Can you chat?
Doctor DanB : This itching of the eyelid skin is called allergic dermatitis and it can be quite maddening, but there are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of its symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well.  If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well.  I would suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. Doing all of these things as directed, it still may take a week or two before you notice a significant lessening of the redness and swelling, but the itching should start to respond to this quickly.  Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed? I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.  If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Doctor DanB :

Do you have any questions about what I've written?