Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a questions about Lasik. If am +6 with -4.5

I have a questions about Lasik.
If am +6 with -4.5 astigmatism.
Is it true that the the astigmatism with hyperopia actually helps the lasik procedure.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that the type of refractive error really helps in one way or another when it comes to lasik.

Dr. Rick :

The most important factors when considering lasik are what your surgeon finds on pre-op exam and testing. There are many issues that come into play when deciding if lasik is right for you and your surgeon, along with yourself, are best qualified to make this determination.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

That is not necessarily true. It depends more on your corneal topography, the axis of your astigmatism and the thickness of your corneal stroma. That being said, all things being equal, you should be in the range that can be treated. Once again, only your surgeon can determine this after pre-op testing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i been reading that having hyperopia and astigmatism with the hyperopia being greater then the astigmatism, then it can actually benefit because less tissue will be needed to remove. I dont' know if you have experience with this.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Brownsville is very, very South Texas :), Has it reached 105 yet this morning?