Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a 61yr old male in good general health scheduled for

I am a 61yr old...

I am a 61yr old male in good general health scheduled for elective presbyopia corrective IOL treatment tomorrow. My distant, mid, colour & contrast vision still feel comfortable. However, I am increasingly frustrated by the need for reading correction via spectacles. Current Pescription: Sphere - Cyl - Axis - Nr Add R +0.75 +0.25 123 +2.00 L + 0.75 +0.50 30 +2.00 As a keen scuba photographer it is imperative that I do not select inappropriate lenses. My research now appears to indicate the new Light Adjustable Lens as the lens offering best outcomes (especially for future adjustments). However, my consultant is adamant that the Lentis MPlus is a sufficiently high premium lens for a good outcome for me. This may be true, but I remain concerned that he is constrained by commercial pressure to offer the best his company can deliver. Which is currently a multifocal lens as they cannot supply LAL's. Please respond quickly as the clock is ticking. Many thanks Barrie Marchington***@******.*** XXXXXXXXXXX

In addition, my eye test has indicated very early signs of the onset of cataracts.

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2011
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Good morning. The system blocks email addresses....all I got was a bunch of X's but we can chat on this system.

Dr. Rick :

As a presbyopic scuba diver myself I can understand your concerns and issues.

Customer:

Is an Light Adjustable Lens a superior IOL to a Multifocal Type such as the Lentis MPlus?

Dr. Rick :

The lentis MPlus is a very good lens with a excellent history.....

Dr. Rick :

The LAL is very new and I don't have any personal experience with it here in the USA.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to my eyes, I tend to be a little bit conservative and, my take on the issue at this point is to give the LAL more time to be proven, perhaps FDA approved and used in millions of people before jumping on the band wagon....

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be happy with the lentis Mplus and, if I was considering having elective clear lens removal for presbyopia, that is what I, personally, would do.

Customer:

Would an LAL lens offer as good accomodation without possible glare or halos, which are a feature of Multifocal lenses, even to a reduced degree with the Lentis MPlus.

Dr. Rick :

In every multifocal lens there are trade offs. I think there would still be some sort of loss of crisp distance vision with the LAL in order to obtain sharp near and intermediate vision. Would there be glare and halos? Most likely less of a chance with the LAL then the MPlus but it still may be present. Also, what happens if, during the light adjustment, errors are made or your cornea/refractive error changes over time? The MPlus has millions of happy customers out there already and the LAL is still, relatively, new in the scheme of things.....

Dr. Rick :

There are no right or wrong answers to this issue, just choices......

Customer:

As the LAL Lens appears to have moved on from development at the London Eye Hospital to some private hospitals & clinics. I assumed perhaps in error that it had recieved FDA approval.

Customer:

However, Your reply has helped me cement my desion to go ahead with the MPlus. Thank you for your expert advise. Barrie Marchington

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery and keep on diving :o) I've been certified since 1978 and,now that I am old, only do warm water dives....

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD