Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

This is the second time in 2 weeks that areas above and

Customer Question

This is the second time in 2 weeks that areas above and below my eyes has actually sort of blown-up, leaving very red eyes. I think that I have another sinus infection - could these 2 things be related? There is not really any discharge, but it is very uncomfortable and feeling very dry.
What could this be (my doctor is on vacation...)?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Do the eyes itch significantly?

Customer:

just a little

Doctor DanB :

Is the skin around the eyes puffy? is that what you mean by blown-up?

Customer:

extremely puffy - it's hard to see out of my right

Doctor DanB :

Is the skin around the eyes red too?

Customer:

i don't think that it is blep - how ever you spell it - i've had that before... no, the area is not red.

Doctor DanB :

Sometimes a puffy eyelid can feel puffy in two different ways: it can feel boggy like there's fluid inside or it can feel hard and thick. Which would you describe yours as?

Customer:

it feels fluid-ish and when I just touched it, the eye felt really sore.

Customer:

the area below the eye is the most puffed.

Doctor DanB :

I think what you are experiencing is allergic in nature.. More...

Customer:

I just went to the ENT guy and was tested for everything and have no allergies

Doctor DanB :

There are some steps you can take to begin to rid yourself of these symptoms. First of all, it is important to control the body's overall response to allergens and this would include taking an oral antihistamine such as claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter. Secondly, an allergy eye drop is esssential to start; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. I would also suggest getting some 1% hydrocortisone ointment (also OTC) and rubbing that on the affected skin areas (not in the eyes) twice daily. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation.

Doing all of these things as directed, it still may take a week or two before you notice a significant lessening of the redness and swelling, but the itching should start to respond to this quickly.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

I have no allergies, so no, this doesn't make sense

Customer:

I was tested for allergies because of my sinus condition.

Doctor DanB :

I understand that having no history of seasonal allergies can make it seem as though it is not possible to have this be an allergic cause, but this unfortunately does happen to people who have no history of allergies, yet it is still an allergic cause.

Customer:

Last week

Doctor DanB :

Once a week in my clinic I see patients who have an allergic conjunctivitis and/or dermatitis (as you do), who have even been tested and have had no reaction on the skin tests, but yet clearly have an allergic reaction in their eyes which is as obvious as the sun shining in the sky. Now, with you, I will admit that I am at a disadvantage here because I cannot examine you. But I will tell you that this is very likely the most plausible cause. Sinus infections or inflammations do not cause bilateral eye swelling like you are describing.

Customer:

okay. thank you.

You're welcome.
Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.
If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.