Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have oscillopsia in the form of downbeat nystagmus. Do you

I have oscillopsia in the form of downbeat nystagmus. Do you know of any treatment to deal with the condition? Thank you. My age 75. I have had the condition for 3 years. No doctor in Britain apparently knows how to deal with the problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As you know there is no good treatment for this condition. Oscillopsia and dowbeat nystagmus can be caused by a number of conditions. From your post it seems that you have had a workup by your local doctors and are now left with the fact that there is not much that can be done to improve things.

Dr. Rick :

There is an article by a MD who treats dizzyness/oscillopsia from a number of conditions. You might find some of his comments helpful:

Dr. Rick :

As you stated in your post in a large number of patients the underlying cause of the oscillopsia is never found and, as such, no specific treatment can be instituted. If you have not already done so I suggest you see a neurologist who specializes in dizzyness etc for a complete evaluation.

Dr. Rick :

As you can see from the article above, even if a specific underlying cause can not be found there are some therapies that <may> be helpful.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.