Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I see well close up and do not need glasses to read. I have

Customer Question
I see well close up...
I see well close up and do not need glasses to read. I have a small cataract in my left eye, but my right eye cataract is thicker and my doctor is suggesting surgery in my right eye only for now. I wear glasses only for distance vision, such as golf and driving and watching TV. If I get the monofocal lens in my right eye only, he says my distance vision will improve. But will I then lose my right eye good reading vision and thus not need glasses for distance but now need glasses to read?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James : Hello.
Customer:

Hello!

Dr. James :

So, a monofocal lens is clear at a fix distance.

Dr. James :

You can make it so it is clear at distance, intermediate, or reading.

Dr. James :

but you have to choose.

Customer:

yes, the doctor says my distance vision will not be so blurry, but will the close vision go blurry - so now

Dr. James :

So, yes, if you choose the lens for distance, you'll lose the reading vision in that right eye.

Customer:

I will have to wear glasses for distance - since my left eye will see need the corrective lens, and now

Dr. James :

Some people choose to do this where one eye is for distance and the other eye is for reading.

Dr. James :

This is called monovision.

Customer:

I will need glasses to read too. That doesn't sound like an improvement.

Dr. James :

It depends on your brain's ability to ignore the blurry image and move and switch back and forth between the two eyes.

Dr. James :

Or you can choose to make the lens clear at near in the right eye. But you'll need glasses for distance, just as you do now.

Customer:

Wow, my brain has not even recovered from the trauma of high shool!

Customer:

I have chronic vertigo as well and so having one eye for distance and one for close might

Dr. James :

You might ask your ophthalmologist about this. If you vision is fairly good now despite the cataract, you can try the monovision with contact lenses.

Customer:

make my vertigo worse. Alas

Dr. James :

The other option is to get both eyes done, set for either distance or near.

Dr. James :

The surgery would not be done at the same time however.

Customer:

I cannot wear contact lenses since I had an injury in my right eye and am prone to erosions. Yes, I do think that getting both eyes done with the time separation might be my best option.

Dr. James :

certainly.

Customer:

The choice is a lot easier if you need glasses both to read and for distance, but I can read, the computer, etc without glasses at all.

Customer:

Thanks. I will discuss this with Dr Chang, My consult is in August (because he is so busy!) but the pre-surgery literature was confusing for a person who does not need reading glasses at all.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James
Dr. James