Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Thinking about getting contact lenses for my 16 year old

Customer Question
child. Can someone give me...
Thinking about getting contact lenses for my 16 year old child. Can someone give me some advice? He has approximately -7 sphere and -0.5 cylinder on his glasses.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat right now?
Doctor DanB : He can get either contacts that correct for astigmatism or ones that do not. Given how little astigmatism he has, he may elect to just forego lenses with astigmatism correction because they can be more difficult to line up the axis when the lenses are in for the clearest vision. Either way, he should get some of the newer lenses that allow plenty of oxygen in (called high dK value).
Doctor DanB : It will of course be very important to establish good contact lens hygiene from the start.
Doctor DanB : he should always take the contacts out at night and clean them daily. Despite how they are advertised, contacts should never be slept in. 
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed? I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

I'm concerned about the astigmatism correction that contact lenses can actually provide. Will they move around in eyes and cause uncomfort? How long does it take for a new contact user to get used to "putting stuff in eyes"?

Doctor DanB : The contact lenses for astigmatism do not cause any more discomfort than regular contact lenses. Generally it takes one to two weeks of using the contact lenses every day to be able to get used to them.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.