Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have wet AMD in my left eye and dry AMD in my right eye. I

Customer Question
I have wet AMD in...
I have wet AMD in my left eye and dry AMD in my right eye. I am 79 years old. Is it inevitable that I will go blind? My optometrist has told me I should not drive. I am devastated as I am my disabled husband.s full time carer/driver. This condition has developed very quickly as my sight was passed for driving less than one year ago. Sincerely ***** ********@******.***
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
7/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Is your wet AMD currently being treated?

Customer:

No. I am waiting for the hospital to contact me for an appointment.

Dr. James :

So to answer your question, it is not inevitable that you will go blind.

Dr. James :

Fortunately, we have great new treatments for wet AMD with injections of medicine directly into the eye.

Customer:

Can I hope my eyesight will improve sufficiently for me to drive?

Dr. James :

The goal is the stabilize the vision.

Dr. James :

some people may have improvement.

Dr. James :

Without knowing the severity of your wet AMD, that is a difficult question to answer.

Dr. James :

but there is a chance for the vision to improve.

Customer:

Many thanks. I live in hope

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James