Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My 4 month old kitten Daisy has a weepy eye. The eye looks

Customer Question
Hello My 4 month old kitten...
Hello
My 4 month old kitten Daisy has a weepy eye. The eye looks perfectly clear, she never wipes it herself so we know it's not causing her discomfort and she doesn't have any cold symptoms. In fact she's perfectly healthy. However the fur below her eye collects the tears and I need to bathe this regularly. I think the fur in this area is not growing and looks a little unsightly. The vet has said that they can have a look when she is neutered but the lady at the cattery (where she and her sister have just spent a few days whilst we have been at a family wedding) has said that she knows of two cats that have had operations on their tearducts and neither worked. I don't want to put my kitten through unnessesary discomfort but neither do I wish her to have to be bathed almost daily for her lifetime.
Hope you can adivse.
Tricia Whiting
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
7/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am human eye doctor and don't usually give advice on cats, but as a long time cat owner I can tell you what has worked for me in the past.

Dr. Rick :

If you use your index finger to gently massage the corner of her affected eye (the side against her nose) multiple times a day this may help to open the blocked tear duct. As long as there is no evidence of infection you don't have to use the aureomycin ointment.

Dr. Rick :

Continue to keep the area clean. If things don't resolve in a month or so, or if it seems to become infected, then you should see your vet.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Take care and enjoy the new kitty!
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD