Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I just got opinions from another ophthalmologist on here and

Customer Question
wanted some more options from...
I just got opinions from another ophthalmologist on here and wanted some more options from others about Lasik surgery. Can anyone answer questions about Lasik so I can decide if I should go with the procedure or not. Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
7/3/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. How can I help you?
well i have a +6.25 with -4.75 astigmatism. The doctor herer says that I am a candidate for lasik. He uses the ALLEGRETTO WAVE® Eye-Q. Is this laser good for my prescription. Have you had anyone with my type of prescription who had lasik with this type of lazer have 20/20? Since I have a higher prescription, will my high prescription higher my chances of complications, like severe dry eye, etc. I want opinions from professionals that is not related with this company so i can get unbiased opinions.
I read your encounter with Dr. Rick. I know this is a semantical issue, but the only person that can determine whether you are a good candidate for LASIK is a surgeon who has examined you and done the necessary testing on you. There are many factors that go into determining whether you are a good candidate, but your refractive error I'd becoming less and less an issue. I don't personally have experience with this laser, but I know most lasers are capable of working just fine to take care of your particular refractive error. The vast majority of people who get LASIK are able to achieve very good uncorrected visual acuity, many of which achieve 20/20.
Your risks do include dry eye and corneal ectasia, among others, but these are solar risks that anyone faces. To know if you face a higher proportion of those risks, though, I would have to examine you myself. Like I said the vast majority do very well and don't have significant problems. But, I agree with Dr. Rick, you're operating on a healthy eye for convenience sake and I've seen more than a few patients who end up a little to a lot worse than what they started with prior to LASIK, even with glasses. I, for one, won't ever be getting LASIK, just because I see fine with glassed and don't think the convenience is worth the risk.
Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?
I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.
If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.