Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My 94 year old mother noticed this morning that her left eye

My 94 year old mother noticed this morning that her left eye sees an image darker than her right eye and a little blurry. She can see my face brighter with the right eye than her left at close distance and that my face is complete with no distortion looking with either eye exept it it darker when looking out of her left eye.
I did the Amsler grid test using a page printed with the grid from the Internet. There were no blind spots and she said some lines were disconnected. None were wavy and nothing was more in a particular region of the grid than another. She could not identify any quadrant of the grid looking at the center dot to be different than another.
She has no pain and does not seem to be overly concerned herself.
Questions Below:
Is this macular degeneration? Would it the dry or wet type? Being Saturday, should I take Mom to ER or can I wait next Tuesday and make an appointment?
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Is the left eye vision darker all around or are there particular blind spots?

Dr. James :

If she covers the right eye, what can she see? Faces? TV? Read?

Customer:

She reports all around in the left eye. No blind spots and I asked her directly.

Customer:

I will ask her about what she can do covering her right eye BRB I did test her with her covering one eye at a time. brb

Dr. James :

ok.

Customer:

YES, she can read easily with the left eye. Could it be exposure to any bright sunlight?

Dr. James :

Possible.

Dr. James :

With wet AMD, there is usually bleeding and fluid collection under the retina.

Dr. James :

and this would be reflected in the AMSLER grid as you correctly utilized.

Dr. James :

Wet AMD can wait until the next business day.

Dr. James :

Other things to consider is a vascular blockage, but usually vision is much worse.

Dr. James :

Retinal detachments usually start in the periphery and comes over the vision like a shade or curtain.ff

Dr. James :

Since her reading vision is good and her complaint is dim vision, it can possibly related to dry eyes.

Dr. James :

Similar to a clear window pain, it can sometimes get foggy and dim the vision somewhat.

Dr. James :

You can try artificial tears to see if it helps.

Customer:

visine?

Dr. James :

Use regular artificial tears such as systane or refresh.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

OK, I will buy and try. May take a while. Continure with others. brb to give the results, then hopefully accept, etc. Thanks so far

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

I will for sure but I want to try the tears first and give feedback if this is OK. Dont worry.

Dr. James :

Ok. Take care.