Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have muscle pain in the back of my eye. I think I had a

Customer Question
spider bite above the eye...
I have muscle pain in the back of my eye. I think I had a spider bite above the eye brow
about 6 days ago with lot's of pain and leison's on the forehead and around the eye. Now eye muscle pain throbs with great pain. Need relief.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
7/1/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 6 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to cht?

Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB :

Did you see a spider bite you or is this what you suspect may have happened based on what these lesions appear like?

Customer:

I suspect, I also think I see the bite mark. There was a rash and some leison's and they are going away but now the pain is int back of the eye muscle.

Doctor DanB :

Do these lesions look like little pustules on a base or reddened skin?

Customer:

reddened skin and also long tracks and some skin rashes on the upper eye lid.

Doctor DanB :

Do these lesions spread past the nose to the other side of the face?

Customer:

no, they seem to come from one spot where I think the bite was. There was a small bump there when it first started and thought under the skin pimple. I depressed it and think some fluid was released under the skin and I think I may have inadvertenly spread the toxin around the area under the skin. The pain started around the forehead and then down around the eye. Now the other pain is going but continues in the back of the eye.

Doctor DanB :

I suspect what you have is actually not a spider-bite, but a herpes virus infection of the eye skin around the eye, called herpes zoster ophthalmicus, or in other words, shingles of the eye.

Doctor DanB :

This is unfortunately somewhat common in a person over age 60. The shingles virus can get into the eye and cause significant damage. For that reason I would recommend going to see your ophthalmologist who can do a thorough examination and determine what treatments you are going to need for this.

Customer:

Will it get better on it's own and what can I do for eye discomfort now.

Doctor DanB :

While the lesions often do get better on their own, if there is inflammation in the eye which I suspect there may be, this often won't get better on its own and needs prescription medicine to treat it. Until you can get in to be seen, however, I would recommend using cool compresses for the skin lesions and on the eye and using artificial tears 4x/day in that eye. You can even use a lubricating eye ointment in the eye at night to help with the pain.

Doctor DanB :

Ibuprofen may provide you some relief as well.

Doctor DanB :

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

no thank you, ***** *****

Doctor DanB :

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

I'm on vacation in Canada, but from Calif. I need see a dr. now. The system here is not like the U.S. I have to go to a clinic and then get a referral to the Opthamalogist. It's hard to just make an appointment. I don't have any further question's on this. I will try the cold presses and get ibuprofen and eye gel. Can I take ibuprofen since I've taking aspirin. I will click acept now

Doctor DanB :

Yes, you can take ibuprofen, but I would make sure you take it with food and don't stay on it for too long.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.