Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My 19 yr old daughter had chicken pox about 6 weeks ago. She

URGENT! My 19 yr old daughter had chicken pox about 6 weeks ago. She no longer has it but her right eye now seems to be infected (at the spots where she had a pox or two inside and out side the eye lid.) She has an appointment this Saturday with an opthamologist. However, in the mean in time her right eye is watery, looks glassey, her eye can't open up all the way, may be a little swollen, is uncomfortable and but not painful. My question: My daughter insists on wearing her contact lenses (which I beleive is the 2 week wear type) until she gets to the doctor on Saturday. Could this be dangerous to do and in what way? I will show her your answer so maybe she may be more influenced by what you have to say about what she can do- or not do until she gets to the doctor. Also, from what I have described do you think it could be dangerous to wait to see a doctor until Saturday? Would you advise an emergency room? With an ER would they likely have an opthamologist on staff? She is now in Pittsfield, Mass for the summer doing an theatre internship (in custome repair and wardrob assistance- which is very detailed work) where she has very long hours and says she can't leave the work even for a couple hours to see a doctor until Saturday. I am very concerned for any permanent eye damage that can occur by delaying treatment and also wearing contact lenses during this time. Please advise. Thank you.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.

Dr. PG :

hi

Dr. PG :

ideally your daughter should not wear contact lenses

Dr. PG :

is she has an infection in the eye, it will get worse

Dr. PG :

if the infection is in the cornea (black portion of eye), any foreign body like contact lens, dust particle etc can worsen the infection and can be dangerous

Dr. PG :

so, she should not wear contact lens at all

Dr. PG :

unless her eye is examined first hand, exact treatmentcannot be given

Dr. PG :

but she can use lubricating eye drops like genteal/refresh tears/optive etc

Dr. PG :

these are available over the counter and will help in relieving her symptoms to some extent

Dr. PG :

ideally she should avoid a dusty environment and exposure to bright sunlight etc till she consults her Ophthalmologist

Dr. PG :

I agree, that she can have permanent eye damage if treatment is delayed or if she uses contact lenses

Dr. PG :

I hope this information is helpful

Dr. PG :

Regards

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 6 years ago.
How is the condition of your daughter's eye?
Hope the information I provided was helpful to you before the doctor appointment. For any more queries do get back.
Kindly press the green accept button so that I get credit for my efforts and the transaction is complete.
Regards,
Dr. PG