Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 30yr old son had an anuresym to the rt occipital lobe

My 30yr old son had an anuresym to the rt occipital lobe causing damage to the back of his eye with loss of left sided vision in both eyes. He is having a lot of problems focusing. Is there anything that will help him? He is a miracle in that he has no other problems resulting from the anuresym but he needs help with this problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The loss of vision on the left side of his visual field is due to damage of the optic radiations in his brain. That may improve a little bit over the course of 6 months or so, but what he is left with after that will most likely be permanent.

Dr. Rick :

The difficulty focusing may be due to nerve damage to the muscle that is used to focus, or it could be related to the visual field defects.

Dr. Rick :

If it is a problem related to the muscle that helps him focus on near objects simple over the counter reading glasses may help. I would try +1.50 power first.

Dr. Rick :

You may, however, want to take him to an ophthalmologist given his history for a more complete evaluation rather then just trying reading glasses on your own.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.