Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mother had an apparent allergic reaction immediately

Customer Question
following a routine eye exam...
My mother had an apparent allergic reaction immediately following a routine eye exam which included dilation and then reversal drops. This started aprox 2 mos. ago and was first diagnosed as an infection for which she was prescribed Tobrex .3%. When this made things worse the diagnosis was switched to allergic reaction and she was told to take Claritin. Still no improvement so she was sent to a specialist who said slack, floppy eyelids made it easier for allergic irritation and he said use artificial tears and no need for a repeat visit. The problem persists and is getting worse with red watery eyes affecting her vision [ she is 87 ] and the itching spreading from just the eyes to the forehead and chin etc. Where to turn next, as all her doctors seem stumped and/or lack interest. Should we go to a regular allergist or find another eye doctor? Thank you so much for any insight you can offer.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Eye
6/22/2011
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your thought to seek advice from an allergist.

Dr. Rick :

From an eye standpoint, if she does have floppy eyelid syndrome, her problems will persist until that problem is surgically corrected. This is a rather easy surgery that is done under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis. On this basis, consulting with an oculoplastic surgeon (since you have already seen a general ophthalmologist) would be a good idea.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having getting to the bottom of this issue.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think any of this is related to the eye exam and dilation many months ago.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thanks for your comments. We now have some new avenues to explore. Very satisfied.
My pleasure.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD