Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

her ocular pressure was 28 and she says that her eye hurts

My wife was told that her ocular pressure was 28 and she says that her eye hurts. Unfortunately, the doctors in our area say that they do not want to see her until next month and she is becoming very nervous.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was she seen by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist/

Customer:

Optometrist

Customer:

and DR of ocular diseases

Dr. Rick :

Well, while it is true that a pressure of 28 is higher then normal (normal is 10 to 21) it is not so high as to be an emergency.

Dr. Rick :

Do you mean she was then seen by an ophthalmologist? (eye MD) after the optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

There is more to a diagnosis of glaucoma then just elevated pressure. The condition of the optic nerve and visual field testing is also important.

Customer:

No the Eye doctors down here apparently have speciality and become DOD Doctors of Ocular Diseases. Being an RN for the past 35 years I am trying to find an Opthalmologist to take her.

Dr. Rick :

Where on the planet are you?

Dr. Rick :

Also, I see that you listed timoptic as something she has already tried. Is she currently on timoptic for the pressure and they want her back in a month to recheck her pressure?

Customer:

We moved from New York City to Hernando Mississippi(17 miles south of Memphis Tennessee)

Customer:

Yes, she started the Timoptic a couple of days ago.

Dr. Rick :

Oh....that is the bull sh*t stuff where Optometrists get "certified" by their board to treat ocular diseases. It is like an Eagle Scout paying $100 and being promoted to Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps without having to go through the training.

Dr. Rick :

Run away from this guy. Run away as fast as you can and find an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

I would not, all things being equal, start an 72 year old woman on a beta blocker for a pressure of 28

Customer:

I agree. But I had to hear it from an MD first.

Dr. Rick :

I really would not be real concerned about one reading of 28 for eye pressure. I'd recheck it, of course, and do a complete eye exam checking out her optic nerves, angles and visual field, but I wouldn't rush to treat it. Also Travatan would be my first drug of choice in someone her age not a beta blocker that has a bunch of side effects.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad you asked :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else I can add to our conversation this morning for you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. Have a good day.