Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Twice today I have experienced a light colored, almost

Customer Question

Twice today I have experienced a light colored, almost circular white lightening, line i my right eye. Around 7AM this morning, and again when I got home from work about 6:30.
It lasts about 15 minutes then goes away. This evening I have a slight overall headach that lasted just about the same amount of time while I was experiencing the linhe, then went away on it's own.
I calloed Kaiser and they told me not to be terribly concerned, and unless the symptons got worse, call and set an eye exam appt. on Monday.
Should I wait until Monday?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi there

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you should be OK to wait until Monday. I believe you are experiencing multiple episodes of an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Ok, I didn't have any headach this morning or anytime during the day. Yes, it makes sense. I was concerned about a retna problem.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist and I do not believe you are having a retina issue.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there/

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Have a good evening.