Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can optic neuritis be treated with acupuncture?

can optic neuritis be treated with acupuncture ?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

There was a large study called the Optic Neuritis Treatment Study (ONTT) a few years ago that looked in depth into the various treatment options for your condition.

Dr. Rick :

Acupuncture did not make the list.

Dr. Rick :

So, in general, I would have to say, no, acupuncture is not a known, effective, treatment for optic neuritis.

Dr. Rick :

If treatment by an ophthalmologist didn't work in your case then, I'm sorry to say, there is nothing that can be done to restore function to your damaged optic nerve. I am afraid acupuncture would not be a wise use of your hard earned money.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
I see you have read my above posts. Is there anything else you would like to ask me or any further information I can provide on this issue?
If not, then......
It is now safe to press that Pretty Green Button so that my poor, starving, barefoot, daughters can buy new shoes and, once again, feel safe from the mean, nasty snakes, as they walk through the tall grass.